The Film: 16:9 (HD), Runtime: 33:29 (2021)
Apophenia (2021) is an artistic exploitation of the human propensity to seek patterns in random information.
The post-truth era of ‘alternative facts’ over the last five years has brought on mass delusion, bold-faced lying, and wild conspiracy theories. I believe this coordinated attack was made possible by apophenia—where people find meaningful connections in unrelated and often fictional events. UFO cover-ups, Bigfoot sightings, and QAnon assertions are all examples. The audio and video in this project are created to deliberately stimulate this phenomenon.
Apophenia (official soundtrack)
- Neutron Erik Deerly 8:31
- Sinoid Erik Deerly 7:37
- Apophenia Erik Deerly 6:35
- Tine Erik Deerly 5:03
- Plush Erik Deerly 5:13
Stream / download this audio.
Screenings and Awards
- Best Animation Short Film; Special Mention Original Score Short Film, Five Continents International Film Festival, Puerto la Cruz, Venezuela (2021)
- Winner, Web/New Media category; Best Film Score, L’Age d’Or International Arthouse Film Festival, Kolkata, India (2021)
- Best Film Score, Cult Critic Movie Awards, Kolkata, India (2021)
- Finalist, International Music Video Awards, London, UK (2021)
- Semi-Finalist, Munich Music Video Awards, Munich, Germany (2021)
- Semi-Finalist, Rome Music Video Awards, Rome, Italy (2021)
- Winner, Web/New Media category, Beyond Earth Film Festival, Chennai, India (2021)
- Traditional: single-channel video and stereo audio
- Site-specific installation: 5.1 Dolby audio, 4-channel VDMX5 parallel video projection
For optimal viewing of this work, please use loud stereo speakers with a subwoofer and a large HD screen.