In 2015, my website was hacked: lines of text and image were haphazardly vandalized and replaced by recognizably altered versions of the original. In an effort to regain my illusion of control, I decided to investigate ways of distorting, hacking and redacting my own work. In my series, databent, I am the vandal. I employ a text editor to manipulate the raw data behind the original image, altering the code itself and permanently corrupting the file. The resulting random distortions are only revealed to me when the computer attempts to read back the data. Each image in the series is printed as a ChromaLuxe on aluminum.
This series was disseminated internationally, as follows:
· Up Next, 1st National Juried Exhibition, NEXT Gallery, Denver, CO (2016)
· 5th Annual Juried Exhibit, JF Gallery, West Palm Beach, FL (2016)
· “Distinguished Artist.” ArtAscent Art & Literature Journal. 16 (2015): 36-41.
· Generations, 40 Hues Between Black & White, Orange County Center for Contemporary Art with Vietnamese American Arts & Letters Association, Santa Ana, CA (2015)
· CONCEIVE, A Group Exhibition, the HUD Gallery, Ventura, CA (2015)